Descendants of John Hingston of West Alvington born about 1675
This completely replaces older versions of Trees HA, HB, HE and HG, and has been completely renumbered. Please discard older versions 29 March 2004 - Chris Burgoyne
This is a large and complex tree made up of two parts. The first five generations are the descendants of 37. Henry Hingston who married in 1567 in West Alvington. This is almost entirely derived from the work of WEH. His line ended with Jonah (1895) annd Jonas (1919) who I believe to be the same person (2. Jonah here).
Two of Jonah's children were Thomas and William. For many years I was uncertain about the ancestors of 3. William Hingston and 4. Thomas Hingston in Aveton Gifford, two of my grandmother Florrie Clark's ancestors. I searched many of the local parishes, starting with those where I knew there were many Hingstons, but I eventually found two suitable candidates in West Alvington, where there was a large community of Hingstons I had not previously suspected. This line now includes all three of the links to Florrie Clark, and also the descendants of Mary Hanniford. Together these constitute trees that I used to call HA, HB, HE and HG; they have all been renumbered. Thomas and William must have moved to Aveton Gifford which is only about 4 miles from West Alvington. All the subsequent families are descendants of one or other of these, and WEH's study agrees with (and extends) what I had already shown in theis tree. There is one place where WEH's logic disagrees with mine (as discussed below in Generation 6) but the effect on the subsequent trees is limited.
There is one indirect reference to West Alvington in the Vine Tree (No. 749), and another in Allen and Dymond (No. 7), the latter which shows a link back to the Holbeton Hingstons.
There are a total of 329 Hingstons listed here.
Generation No. 1
37. HENRY HINGSTON (1802 in WEH) of West Alvington, married the 28 July 1567 JOAN WHITE and died 12 Sep 1603.
The children of Henry Hingston and Joan White are:
THOMAS HINGSTON (1880 in WEH) born 2 Dec 1673 and died 10 Mar 1700.
ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1881 in WEH) born 22 Aug 1676 and died 29 Aug 1721.
JOAN HINGSTON (1882 in WEH) born at West Alvington 3 Aug 1679, and married 8 May 1714 NATHANIEL COLES.
MARGARET HINGSTON (1883 in WEH) born 21 Jul 1681. Died 5 Aug 1681.
WILLIAM HINGSTON (1884 in WEH) born 18 Nov 1684. Died 20 May 1711.
Generation No. 5
There is scope for mis-interpretation here. There were three John Hingstons having children at the same time in West Alvington (49. John who married Elizabeth; 1.John who married Phillippa and 52. John who married Christian). There are suitable births for the Johns, but it isn't clear which John married which wife (the records simply say things like (John Hingston married ...). WEH decided which was which, but it isn't clear what his justifications were. I have followed his trees here in the absence of better reasoning.
The only recorded child of Thomas Hingston and Wilmot is:
GRACE HINGSTON (1909 in WEH) born 24 Jul 1722 and married 10 Jan 1744 to CHARLES EDWARDS.
2. JONAS (or JONAH) HINGSTON (WEH regarded them as separate - Jonas 1919 and Jonah 1895) was baptised 20 Nov 1707 in West Alvington, the son of 1. John Hingston and Phillippa, and was buried 12 Feb 1780 in West Alvington (WEH notes that he was very poor). At his baptism his name is quoted as Jonah, but in later entries it is shown as Jonas (in one case, with Jonah crossed out). He seems to have married twice. Firstly he married MARY LYDSTONE on 7 Feb 1740 at South Huish (IGI); their daughter, also MARY, was baptised in 1741, but both Marys seem to have died within the next six months (there were three burials of Mary Hingstons between Aug 1741 and Sep 1742). He married, secondly, AMY FORDE 6 Jun 1743 in West Alvington. She was buried 23 May 1791 in West Alvington, when she was described as a pauper.
Child of JONAS HINGSTON and MARY is:
MARY HINGSTON (1910 in WEH) baptised 14 Jun 1741, West Alvington; d. Abt. 1741, West Alvington.
Children of JONAS HINGSTON and AMY FORDE are:
MARY HINGSTON (1920 in WEH), baptised 3 Jul 1744, West Alvington.
JONAS HINGSTON (1924 in WEH) baptised 20 Mar 1753, West Alvington.
ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1925 in WEH) baptised 27 Jul 1755, West Alvington; buried 31 Mar 1758, West Alvington.
JANE HINGSTON (1926 in WEH) baptised 8 May 1759, West Alvington.
This is where WEH's line stops but I believe his 1921 Thomas is the same person as his 1500 Thomas (HA#2 here) and his 1923 William is the same person as his 1479 William (HA#3 here).
Generation No. 7
4. THOMAS HINGSTON (1500 in WEH) was born May 1746 in West Alvington, the son of 2. Jonas Hingston and Amy Forde. He married LYDIA ELLIOT 20 Jul 1767 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of Nicholas Elliot and Lydia. She was born 21 Mar 1748 (OS) and was baptised at Aveton Gifford on 7 Apr 1749.
Children of Thomas Hingston and Lydia Elliot are:
JOHN HINGSTON (1501 in WEH) born 28 Dec 1767 and baptised 26 Jan 1768 Aveton Gifford; buried 29 Jan 1843, Aveton Gifford (aged 75); m. JOAN HILL, 20 Jan 1789, Aveton Gifford. She was baptised 11 Mar 1764 at Aveton Gifford.
JANE HINGSTON (1502 in WEH) born 24 Jan 1770 and baptised 28 Feb 1770 Aveton Gifford; buried 10 Mar 1828, Aveton Gifford.
ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1503 in WEH) born 16 Mar 1773 and baptised 12 Apr 1773 Aveton Gifford. WEH shows her being buried 24 Jun 1858.
ANN HINGSTONE (1506 in WEH) baptised 18 Feb 1781, Aveton Gifford; m. JOHN WALDRON, 17 May 1803, Aveton Gifford; he was baptised 25 Apr 1779, Aveton Gifford.
There is a difference between what we show here and WEH's work. There were in Aveton Gifford at the same time two John Hingstons
John (1501 in WEH) the son of 4. Thomas (1500 in WEH) and Lydia born 1768
John (1493 in WEH) the son of 3. William (1479 in WEH) and Judith Whidon born 1777.
There were two marriages of John Hingstons in the following years
To Joan Hill in 1789 (not shown by WEH)
To Elizabeth Hext in 1797.
1493 John would only have been 12 in 1789, so I presume that it must have been 1501 John who married Joan, leaving 1493 John to marry Ellizabeth Hext. This is the listing shown in Tree HA, whereas WEH shows 1501 marrying Elizabeth and doesn't include the marriage of Joan. I conclude that WEH was mistaken. - CJB
3. WILLIAM HINGSTON(1479 in WEH) was baptised 17 Feb 1750 (OS) in West Alvington, the son of 2. Jonas Hingston and Amy Forde, and buried 7 Mar 1821 in Aveton Gifford (when he was described as aged 74). He married JUDITH WHIDON 30 Aug 1776 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of JOHN WHIDDON and MARY. She was born 6 Mar 1751 (OS) in Aveton Gifford, and was buried 6 May 1813 in Aveton Gifford (aged 66). At the wedding they both signed the register - the witnesses were Richard Dunning and Henry Bastard.
Children of William Hingston and Judith Whidon were:
WILLIAM HINGSTON (not listed by WEH) baptised 5 Oct 1779, Aveton Gifford.
PRUDENCE HINGSTON (1494 in WEH) baptised 28 Mar 1782, Aveton Gifford and was buried 16 Nov 1854 (aged 72). She married JAMES PUTTAVEN, alias CLARK 17 Oct 1815 in Aveton Gifford, son of Thomas Puttaven and Elizabeth Stayll. The Puttaven/Clark family originally came from Buckfastleigh. The use of the name Puttaven alias Clark, or Clark alias Puttaven seems to have gone on for about 150 years - the early names tend to give Puttaven priority, the later ones Clark. Prudence and James had three children; Richard Clark (1817); Edward Clark (1819) who later married Mary Burgoyne, who was some 20 years his senior, and William Hingston Clark (1822) whose son William (1866) married CAROLINE ELSTON HINGSTON (below).
ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1495 in WEH) baptised 5 Dec 1784, Aveton Gifford. She married 20 April 1821 to JOHN SPINNAY at Aveton Gifford.
TEMPERANCE HINGSTON (1496 in WEH) baptised 10 Jun 1787, Aveton Gifford; m. ROGER RAMSHIRE, 3 Mar 1813, East Stonehouse. He was a marine but this was during the Napoleonic wars so we don't know what happened to him later.
AMY HINGSTON (1497 in WEH) born 21 Nov 1790.
JANE HINGSTON ( 1498 in WEH) born 30 Mar 1794 and died 13 May 1798.
MARY HINGSTON, baptised 11 Jun 1797, Aveton Gifford; buried 1 Apr 1798, Aveton Gifford.
Generation No. 8
54. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1504 in WEH) born 3 Mar 1776 the son of 4. Thomas Hingston and his wife Lydia (Elliot), and died 27 May 1846 (aged 66) and buried at Loddiswell 30 May 1846, and was married 4 Sep 1801 to MARY LUCKHAM of Loddiswell; she was buried 17 Jun 1848 at Loddiswell when she was described as being of Wisly (= Wizaller?).
JANE (JENNY) HINGSTON (1303 in WEH) Bapt. 25 Dec 1801 at Loddiswell. Married 23 Jan 1823 JAMES YALLAND at Loddiswell. She died on 18 Jan 1884 in Loddiswell, from "cancer of the heart". There were offspring from whom Durlene Germscheid is descended.
REBECCA HINGSTON (twin) Bapt. 30 Jan 1808 at Loddiswell but was buried there on 3 Feb 1808.
SUSANNAH HINGSTON (twin) Bapt. 30 Jan 1808 at Loddiswell but was buried there on 5 Mar 1809.
6. NICHOLAS HINGSTONE (1505 in WEH) was baptised 30 Jan 1779 in Aveton Gifford, the son of 4. Thomas Hingston and his wife Lydia (Elliot), and died Nov 1848 in Aveton Gifford. He was a labourer. He married MARY HANNIFORD in Modbury on 20 May 1803. She was probably born in Churchstow in about 1782 (according to her age in the 1851 census).
This relationship is a little tenuous. It is based on the known births of the children and the absence of any other suitable candidate. The births of the children are unexpectedly late - Nicholas would have been 37 when the eldest was born. One possibility is that Nicholas was in the forces - this being the time of the Napoleonic Wars - either in the Army or the Navy, and returned home when the war ended after the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.
It is further complicated by the birth to a Mary Hingston of an illegitimate son Richard Hannaford Hingston in 1811. There is no obvious candidate to be an unmarried Mary Hingston. The DFHS Marriage Index shows a marriage in 1814 between Richard Hannaford, butcher of East Stonehouse and Elizabeth (sic) Hingston of Thurlestone, but I have now concluded that that event is a complete red herring and has nothing to do with this family. This tree is based on the assumption that Nicholas and Mary were married before he went off to war. Mary remained and had her son, who was baptised with her married name (which explains why I cannot find a suitable Mary Hingston as a child) after which Nicholas returned from war and their daughters were born. What is needed is some evidence from later records which shows parentage of these children. The descendants of Richard Hanniford Hingston are not strictly descendents of this line, although they derive their name from this source so are included here for convenience.
5. JOHN HINGSTON (1501 in WEH where his date of birth and parents are wrong - see discussion above) was baptised 3 Aug 1777 in Aveton Gifford, the son of 3. William Hingston and Judith (Whidon) and was buried 12 Jan 1846 in Aveton Gifford (aged 69). He married ELIZABETH HEXT 2 Jul 1797 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of Robert Hext and Grace. They both made a mark and both were described as being of Aveton Gifford. The witnesses were Benj. Searle, John Crimp and Mary Bardons. There is no suitable Elizabeth Hext born in AG but I am fairly certain she is the Elizabeth Hext who was baptised 21 Jan 1776 at South Brent. In the 1851 census she was living with her son Thomas in the Old Poor House (now the school) in Aveton Gifford and described as having been born at Brent. This link is thus not absolutely sure but the circumstantial evidence for 5. John being the father of 11. Thomas is compelling. Elizabeth is probably the one who was buried at Aveton Gifford on 24 Jun 1858, aged 86, but there are several other Elizabeth Hingstons whose deaths were registered in the Kingsbridge district in the 1850s.
ELIZABETH JANE HINGSTON (1307 in WEH) born 30 Jul 1844 (FreeBMD shows 1843), died 2 Jun 1893.
MARY ANN HINGSTON (1308 in WEH) born 4 Nov 1848 and married to Mr GODSMARK of Loddiswell at Dover Jun Qtr 1874.
JANE HINGSTON (1309 in WEH) (possibly born Jun Qtr 1850) married THOMAS PARSONS of Loddiswell in Newton Abbot Sep Q 1874.
CHARLOTTE HINGSTON (1310 in WEH) (no obvious entry in FreeBMD) married EDWARD BROWN of Loddiswell, possibly at Farnham in Jun Q 1870.
69. JOHN HINGSTON (1302 in WEH) Bapt. 15 Dec 1805 at Loddiswell, the son of 54. William Hingston and Mary (Luckham). He married PEGGY PARKER 23 Jun 1831 at Plymouth Charles. In the 1871 census he was described as a carpenter in a soap works.
N.B. There was another Hingston/Parker marriage in 1830 (Tree HD#35) and they were also having children in Plymouth at about this time, so there is the potential for confusion.
Peggy died in 1860 and John married secondly JANE COOMBES in Mar Qtr 1864. He was then a carpenter living in Belmont Street and his father was listed as William, a labourer. The 1861 census lists John as a Carpenter, born Loddiswell.
The children of John Hingston and Peggy include:-
ELIZABETH PATIENCE HINGSTON, bapt 11 Dec 1831 at Plymouth Charles
PATIENCE PARKER HINGSTON, bapt 11 Nov 1832 at Plymouth Chalres, died 1834
MARY JANE HINGSTON, bapt 15 Dec 1833 at Plymouth Charles
SUSAN HINGSTON, bapt 20 Sep 1835 at Plymouth Charles
EDWARD JAMES HINGSTON bapt 10 Mar 1839 at Plymouth Charles, died 1843
JOSEPH JOHN PARKER HINGSTON born 1841
12. RICHARD HANNAFORD HINGSTON (1517 in WEH) was born 15 Oct 1811 and baptised 22 Oct 1811 in Aveton Gifford, and died 17 Sep 1901 in Aveton Gifford. He was described as the base child of Mary Hingston, but the only Mary I can find of the right age is the wife of 6. Nicholas Hingston, who I assume was away serving in the Napoleonic Wars at the time. This reading of the situation is not certain, however. Richard married MARY HARWOOD 10 Jul 1836 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of ROGER HARWOOD. She was born Abt. 1811 in Bigbury, and died 5 Dec 1880 in Aveton Gifford. They are buried together at Aveton Gifford - her MI says Mary, wife of Richard Hingston aged 78 (i.e. born 1802); his says Husband of above, age 89. He was a labourer - in 1851 they were living at Ashford; the children were born at Bigbury.
Children of RICHARD HINGSTON and MARY HARWOOD are:
ELIZABETH ANN HINGSTON (1527 in WEH) born 5 Oct 1837, Clanaborough and baptised 22 Oct 1837, Aveton Gifford.
MARY JANE HANNIFORD HINGSTON (1528 in WEH) born 13 Feb 1840, Clanaborough, baptised 8 Mar 1840, Aveton Gifford (no obvious entry in FreeBMD).
13. CHARLOTTE HINGSTONE (1515 in WEH) baptised 14 May 1820, Aveton Gifford, the daughter of 6. Nicholas Hingstone and Mary (Hanniford), and was buried 1 Feb 1877 in Aveton Gifford (age 56). She married JAMES SEWARD ELSON 2 Aug 1840 in Parish Church, Stoke Damerel. He was baptised 10 Oct 1817 in Stokeinteignhead, the son of William Elson and Joanna Seward. He was an agricultural labourer. He was buried 15 Nov 1885 in Aveton Gifford (age 66).
Children of CHARLOTTE HINGSTONE and JAMES ELSON are:
ELIZABETH HINGSTONE ELSON, born 26 Nov 1840 and baptised 26 Dec 1840 Aveton Gifford. She married 17. GEORGE HINGSTON 18 Mar 1861 in Aveton Gifford, son of 11. Thomas Hingston and Ann Cowley. He was born 27 Jan 1841 in Modbury, and died Jul 1930 in Aveton Gifford. Their children are listed above under George Hingston.
JOSEPH JAMES ELSON, b. May 1846, Aveton Gifford.) was born May 1846 in Aveton Gifford. He married SARAH JANE HINGSTON 24 Jan 1874 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of 11. Thomas Hingston and Ann Cowley. Thus, a brother and sister married a sister and a brother, each pair being third cousins. Sarah was baptised 16 Jul 1848 in Aveton Gifford. James was a mason. Their children were WILLIAM GEORGE HINGSTON ELSON, b. Jun 1874, Aveton Gifford, also a mason, who married ELIZABETH ANN SANDOVER, 25 Dec 1897, Aveton Gifford; JAMES THOMAS ELSON, baptised 28 Nov 1875, Aveton Gifford; ROSINA JANE ELSTON, born 27 Mar 1877, Aveton Gifford and baptised there on 24 Aug 1877, and CAROLINE ELIZABETH ELSON, baptised 10 Aug 1879, Aveton Gifford.
MARY ANN ELSON, baptised 24 Jun 1855. She married GEORGE WILLIAM SAUNDERS RUTH, a mason, son of CHARLES RUTH, on 17 Jul 1875 in Aveton Gifford, . He was born Abt. 1853. They appear to have had a child before they were married, who was baptised as GEORGE WILLIAM RUTH ELSTON at Aveton Gifford on 30 Nov 1873.
14. WILLIAM HINGSTONE (1516 in WEH) was born Jan 1823 in Aveton Gifford, the son of 6. Nicholas Hingstone and Mary (Hanniford) and died Bef. 1858. He married MARY SIBLEY 13 Oct 1851 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of ISAAC SIBLEY, a marine. In 1851 he was described as a sailor, but he was a labourer when their daughter was christened. His death is not recorded at AG but she remarried there to JOHN HOON, a sailor from the Isle of Wight, so presumably he died away, possibly at sea. This was, however, the time of the Crimean War, so it is possible he died on service there.
Child of WILLIAM HINGSTONE and MARY SIBLEY is:
ROSINA SIBLEY HINGSTONE, baptised 22 Aug 1852 (there was a marriage of.
7. JOHN HINGSTON (1507 in WEH) baptised 7 Oct 1797 at Aveton Gifford, the son of 5. John Hingston and Elizabeth (Hext). He married GRACE TERRY, 12 Dec 1817, Bigbury, with consent of parents (since he was under-age at the time). She was buried 15 Feb 1862 at Bigbury, age 72, so was born about 1790. In the 1851 census they were living in Bigbury - he was described as an agricultural labourer - she was described as being born in Bigbury.
The children of John Hingston and Grace Terry are:-
57. PHILIP TERRY HINGSTON, baptised Jul 1818 at Bigbury. He married ELIZABETH BREND of Bigbury, aged 21, 9 Dec 1844. He was described as a labourer. In the 1851 census they were living at 12 Stoke Lane, Plymouth, St Andrew. He is described as a labourer in a soap factory, aged 36, she was described as a needlewoman, age 25. Both born Bigbury. There were no children living with them.
ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1609 in WEH) baptised 26 Dec 1821 at Bigbury. In the 1851 census she is living as an unmarried servant at the home of George Lee, a stationer, in Bedford St, Plymouth, St Andrew. She is aged 28
8. ROBERT HINGSTON (1555 in WEH) was baptised 1 Feb 1807 in Aveton Gifford, the son of 5. John Hingston and Elizabeth (Hext) and died Sep 1850 in Aveton Gifford. He was buried on 1st Oct 1850, aged 42 having drowned with his son William while fishing. He married MARY ANN MARCH 29 Apr 1829 in Woodleigh. He was described as a labourer but if the link with 16. George is correct he may also have been a mariner at one time. In the 1851 census Mary and her two daughters are living in the Old Poor House.
WILLIAM HENRY HINGSTON (1560 in WEH) Supposedly born at Aveton Gifford in 1834 but he is a good fit to be the William Henry bap at Plymstock to Robert (Labourer) and Maria, of Turnchapel 21 Sep 1834. He drowned at the same time as his father 1 Oct 1850.
THOMAS HINGSTON (1557 in WEH) born 5 Oct 1837 (GRO) and baptised 15 Oct 1837, Aveton Gifford.
RICHARD HINGSTON (1558 in WEH) born 23 Apr 1843 (GRO) at Modbury and died 1 Feb 1857.
MARY JANE HINGSTON (1562 in WEH), baptised 12 Jul 1846 (GRO) , Aveton Gifford and married JAMES STEAR on 26 Sep 1863 at Modbury.
ELIZABETH ANNE HINGSTON (1561 in WEH) baptised 6 Aug 1848 (GRO), Aveton Gifford and died unmarried in 1867.
9. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1511 in WEH) was baptised 3 Dec 1809 in Aveton Gifford, the son of 5. John Hingston and Elizabeth (Hext). He married MARY LETHBRIDGE 28 Dec 1841 in Churchstow, daughter of John Leathbridge and Jane Steer. She was baptised 14 Aug 1814 at Churchstow. In the 1851 census the family is living in the Old Poor House at Aveton Gifford - William is described as an agricultural labourer but was a mariner at the time of his marriage. (Two of the children are shown in the GRO with mother's maiden name of Ellis, while the others are shown with mmn :Lethbridge, but in the 1851 census they are all shown in the same family.)
Children of William Hingston and Mary Lethbridge are:
ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1518 in WEH) born 16 Jul 1843 (GRO), Kingsbridge, baptised 17 Sep 1843, Aveton Gifford.
WILLIAM HINGSTON (not shown in WEH) baptised 1 Jun 1845 (GROshows mother's maiden name as ELLIS), Aveton Gifford.
JOHN HINGSTON (1519 in WEH) baptised 7 Mar 1847 (GROshows mother's maiden name as ELLIS), Aveton Gifford; buried 21 Sep 1848, Aveton Gifford.
ROBERT HINGSTON (1520 in WEH) baptised 28 Apr 1849 (GRO), Aveton Gifford.
SARAH HINGSTON (1521 in WEH) baptised 11 Jan 1852 (GRO), Aveton Gifford
JOHN HINGSTON (1522 in WEH) baptised 25 Dec 1853 (GRO), Aveton Gifford
THOMAS HINGSTON (1523 in WEH) baptised 28 Sep 1856 (not listed in GRO), Aveton Gifford.
10. GEORGE HINGSTON (1513 in WEH) was baptised 6 Feb 1814 in Aveton Gifford, the son of 5. John Hingston and Elizabeth (Hext). He married GRACE HURREL, daughter of Sarah in the Dec Qtr, 1840. Grace was born Abt. 1819 in Paignton. In the 1851 census the family are living at Culverhay St, Paignton, where George is described as an Agricultural Labourer. George died Jan 1888.
SARAH HINGSTON (1549 in WEH), b. Abt 1844 (GRO), Paignton, died Dec 1863.
JOHN HINGSTON, b. 1851 (GRO), Paignton, died Jul 1865.
11. THOMAS HINGSTON (1206 in WEH) was probably born 1816/17 in Aveton Gifford (WEH says 18 Dec 1816 but he isn't in the AG PRs), the son of 5. John Hingston and Elizabeth (Hext). He was a labourer and married ANN COWLEY, daughter of William Cowley and Elizabeth Purdy, at Modbury on 19 Apr 1840 (certificate); he was shown as a servant, the son of John (labourer), while she was shown as a dressmaker, the daughter of William (mason); the witnesses were John Ford and Eliza Purdy. She was baptised 24 Jan 1813, Modbury.
Thomas used to stand at the head of a separate Tree HE because I was in doubt about his parents. I have still not confirmed the details of his baptism, which is a slight worry since all his siblings were baptised at AG. However, I have sufficient circumstantial evidence to place him here. The 1851 census shows Thomas Hingston age 34, an agricultural labourer, born in Aveton Gifford, so he was born c. 1817. His mother Elizabeth was widowed by 1851, and living with Thomas. She was shown as age 77, so born c. 1774, at Brent. She would have been 43 when Thomas was born, so he could well have been her last child. She was shown in the census as being a former agricultural labourer's wife. I have assumed that she is Elizabeth Hext, who married 5. John Hingston in 1797. There was an Elizabeth Hext baptised at South Brent on 21/1/1776, which would make her 75 at the time of the census, which is not too bad. John was an agricultural labourer. The only other Elizabeth marrying a Hingston shown in the DFHS index is Henry Hingston marrying Elizabeth Stappers at Stoke Damerel, by Licence, in Nov 1816, but he was a quarterman in the dockyard and is a member of Tree HD.
THOMAS HINGSTON (1236 in WEH), b. 1 Oct 1843 (GRO), Modbury and died 12 Oct 1899.
ELIZABETH ANN COWLEY HINGSTON (1524 in WEH), b. 5 Apr 1846 (GRO), Aveton Gifford, married FREDERICK DAVIS (at Plymouth, Sep Qtr 1875).
SARAH JANE HINGSTON (1540 in WEH) born 28 Jun 1848 (GRO) at Aveton Gifford (certificate dated 19 Jul 1848). Thomas is now described as a labourer. She married JOSEPH JAMES ELSON (her cousin) in Kingsbridge, Mar Qtr 1874.
JOHN WILLIAM HINGSTON (1525 in WEH), b. Apr 1851 (not in GRO), Aveton Gifford and died 15 Mar 1868.
GEORGE HINGSTON (1313 in WEH) Farmer of Greystone (The only Greystone I can find is at Drewsteignton which is some way from the South Hams), born 27 Jan 1862 (GRO) and married Jan 1896 RHODA E SAUNDERS of Bigbury. She died the 18 May 1901. He married secondly on the 6 Aug 1901 ELLEN KENNARD of Loddiswell. No children reported.
SARAH ELLEN HINGSTON (1314 in WEH) born 4 Jan 1864 (GRO) and married Aug 1887 (1885 in FreeBMD) to HENRY HODGE of Loddiswell.
THOMAS LIDSTONE HINGSTON (1316 in WEH) born 27 May 1867 (GRO) and died 1 Sep 1867.
TOM HINGSTON (1317 in WEH) born 28 Aug 1868 (GRO).
ELIZABETH JANE HINGSTON (1318 in WEH) born 8 Nov 1870 (GRO) and married ALBERT BEST of Wellington (There was an Albert Worthy Burt who married an Elizabeth Jane Hingston at Kingsbridge in Dec Qtr 1898).
ROBERT HINGSTON (1319 in WEH) born 4 Feb 1874 (GRO), (possibly married in Feb 1897 in Steyning, Sussex according to FreeBMD).
ALBERT HINGSTON (1320 in WEH) born 23 Nov 1876 (GRO). Went to America in 1893 and returned in 1894 to work on his father's farm.
HENRY HINGSTON (1321 in WEH) born 3 Dec 1879 (GRO) and died 1 July 1884.
EDWIN HINGSTON (1322 in WEH) born 31 Mar 1883 (GRO) and died 15 July 1884.
70. WILLIAM HENRY HINGSTON. He is probably 99 in WEH. He was born 12 Feb 1837 at Plymouth Charles, the son of 69. John Hingston and Peggy (Parker). John was described as a soap maker, and the family were living at Millbay.
William married MARY ELIZABETH MAGOR in Sep Qtr 1861 in Plymouth (FreeBMD) but they were obviously living together for several years before that since they had three children before the wedding. Mary's mother had been born Dorothy Hooper and had a first marriage to Richard Toy, but he died and she married Samuel Magor, who was Mary's father.
In the GRO index, which lists the mother's maiden name, Mary's name was given as Toye for the children born before the marriage, and Magor for the later children. William and Mary took their 5 surviving children to be baptised at St Peter Parish, Plymouth on the same day (15 Aug 1872). The family were living at 7 Summerland Place, Plymouth and William was described as a Carpenter.
In 1881 census they were at 29 Summerland Place with a grandson William Warren age 3, Emma Griffiths a niece age 14
William and Mary had the following children:-
ELIZABETH JANE HINGSTON born 26 Mar 1857 (in GRO mother's name Toye)
EMILY HINGSTON born 10 Dec 1858 (not in FreeBMD but in GRO with mother's name Toye) (There was a marriage to George Warren in Mar 1878 which would explain the grandchild but neither parent was not with him).
FRANCIS HENRY HINGSTON born 6 Mar 1861 (in GRO mother's name Toye) Coach Builder in 1881 with parents. He married LOUISA CHOAKE at Plymouth Jun Qtr 1881. Louisa probably lived until 1940 when she died in Plymouth aged 77.
Louisa was aged 19 in the 1881 census (still unmarried at that time, a tailoress living at 1/2 Union Place, Plymouth.) They had a daughter NELLIE HINGSTON born Mar 1882 (GRO) Plymouth but she seems to have died very soon. Not in the 1891 census but in 1901 Francis H Hingston age 43, Cab driver is living with wife Louisa at 26 Claremont St, no children.
WILLIAM JOHN HINGSTON born Sep Q 1862 (GRO) (100 in WEH) born 7 Aug 1862 and died 24 May 1865. The mother's name for William and the subsequent children is given a Magor.
ALFRED EDWARD HINGSTON born Jun Q 1864 (GRO) (presumably died by Aug 1872) (113 in WEH) born Jun 1865 and died 4 Jun 1866
MARY CLARA HINGSTON born Dec Q 1866 (GRO) (presumably died by Aug 1872) (114 in WEH) born Oct 1866 died 15 Dec 187?.
DOROTHEA HINGSTON born Dec 1871 (twin?) (GRO) (presumably died by Aug 1872 since not baptised with the others)
18. WILLIAM RICHARD HINGSTON (1529 in WEH) was born in Clanaborough and baptised at Aveton Gifford on 27 Jul 1842 (GRO), the son of 12. Richard Hannaford Hingston and his wife Mary (Harwood), and died 9 May 1922 in Aveton Gifford (aged 79). MI "Resting". He was a Labourer and married ANN, probably Dec 1865 to Ann Lowrey. She was born Abt. 1843, and died 13 Jan 1910 in Aveton Gifford where she is buried (aged 67).
Child of William Hingston and Ann is:
JESSIE ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1541 in WEH), married on 27 Jun 1899 (GRO) at Aveton Gifford WILLIAM JAMES EDGECOMBE a builder, known as "Little Willy" because he was short; he was the brother of Alan Edgecombe's grandfather, George Henry Edgecombe. She died in 1940.
19. JOHN HENRY HINGSTON (1530 in WEH) was born in Ashford and baptised 30 Mar 1845 at Aveton Gifford (GRO and also GRO), the son of 12. Richard Hannaford Hingston and his wife Mary (Harwood). He was a labourer and married CAROLINE LAVERS 13 Jan 1871 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of WILLIAM LAVERS, a farmer. She signed, he made a mark. 1881 at Galpin St, Modbury. John Hingston, head, age 50 (1831), AG Lab born Aveton Gifford; Ann, 47 (1834) Aveton Gifford; George 8 Modbury; Charles 5 Modbury.
Children of John Hingston and Caroline are:
ELIZABETH JANE HINGSTON (1531 in WEH), baptised 9 Jul 1871, (GRO) Aveton Gifford and married 22 Oct 1891 (FreeBMD says 1892) to WILLIAM WINSOR.
MARY ANN HINGSTON (1533 in WEH), baptised 1 Jul 1874, (GRO) Aveton Gifford and married WILLIAM JOHN WOOD
JAMES JOHN HINGSTON (1534 in WEH) baptised 7 Mar 1875 (GRO), Aveton Gifford and died 1 Jun 1875.
WILLIAM PHILIP HINGSTON (1535 in WEH) born 7 Mar 1876 (GRO) and baptised 7 May 1876 Aveton Gifford; m. FLORENCE DAMARELL in Dec Qtr 1904 in Kingsbridge; d. 12 Aug 1935, Bigbury (MI Beloved husband of Florence. Aged 59)
CHARLES ALBERT HINGSTON (1536 in WEH), b. 11 Aug 1877 (GRO) and baptised 7 Oct 1877, Aveton Gifford.
JOHN RICHARD HINGSTON (1542 in WEH) born 18 Dec 1879 (GRO).
ALFRED ERNEST HINGSTON (1543 in WEH) born 1 Dec 1881 (GRO).
FREDERICK THOMAS HINGSTON (1544 in WEH) born at Aveton Gifford 20 March 1883 (GRO) and confirmed at Bigbury the 25 Oct 1900.
EMILY KATE HINGSTON (1545 in WEH) born 22 Sep 1884 (GRO) and died 10 Mar 1887.
FRANCES GARLAND HINGSTON (1546 in WEH) born at Aveton Gifford 4 Sep 1885 (GRO) and confirmed at Bigbury 27 Oct 1903.
SIDNEY HINGSTON (1547 in WEH) born at Aveton Gifford 26 Sept 1888 (GRO) and confirmed 27 Oct 1903 at Bigbury. He married KETURAH TAYLOR Sep Qtr 1916 in Kingsbridge District but died on HMS Hood 15 Jun 1920 and is buried at Aabenraa Cemetery in Denmark. At the time of his death Sidney was a Chief Stoker Petty Officer. Hood, with the battlecruiser Tiger, were the lead ships in a squadron of 3 cruisers and 8 destroyers that were sent to the Baltic on a goodwill visit to Scandinavian countries and to dissuade the Bolsheviks from expanding into the Baltic States & perhaps Europe. They left Nynäshamn, Sweden on 13 June, arriving Aabenraa, Denmark 15 June, conducting an exercise while en-route." The purpose of the visit was to mark the handing over to Denmark (by Germany) of North Schleswig following a plebiscite in which the people of South Schleswig had voted to remain in Germany while their northern neighbours, who were mainly Danish speakers, voted to become Danish. Denmark assumed control on 15 June but the formal ceremony did not take place until 11 July. This effectively brought to an end "The Schleswig Holstein Question" of which Lord Palmerston is reputed to have said "Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business – the Prince Consort, who is dead – a German professor, who has gone mad – and I, who have forgotten all about it." Sidney Hingston died of broncho-pneumonia on board ship (ADM 104 111) but another stoker, Sydney Adolphus Soper, had died two days previously (13 Jun) on HMS Tiger while at sea from head injuries following an accident. A local newspaper reported (in translation) "A funeral. Tomorrow, one (sic) of the crew of the English Navy, who died in an accident, will be buried here in the city." Another local newspaper carried a report, with a photo, with the caption "Burial ashore. While HMS Hood in 1920 lay in Aabenraa, a sailor from the warship was buried in the city. There took place a large funeral procession with music. HMS Hood was then the world's largest warship. Photo: (Museum Sønderjylland)". The Danish flags on the buildings are flying at half-mast. Most of the reports only refer to one sailor being buried but both deaths are recorded together in Danish archives on 16 June. Both are listed on the CWGC website as being buried at Aabenraa and both are commemorated by a headstone, erected by their shipmates. Various other photos taken during the visit are in Danish archives. (I am grateful to Erik Sommer for some of the links here and for the translations from the Danish.) Keturah died in 1954 aged 66 in Plymouth. It is not known whether they had any children.
CHARLOTTE HINGSTON (1645 in WEH) Nothing further known.
15. JOHN HINGSTON (1610 in WEH) was baptised 6 Mar 1824 at Bigbury, the son of 7. John Hingston and Grace Terry. He married MARY BEER 20 Jul 1849 at Bigbury. He was described as a fisherman of Duke's Mill, Bigbury. She had been born MARY VOYSEY and married Thomas Beer at Bigbury on 26 Sep 1834, with whom she had three children (William Voysey (1834), James Gofs (1837) and John (1839)). Thomas was buried 29 Mar 1841 aged 30 at Bigbury. In the 1851 census John and Mary are living in Bigbury, with their daughter, Mary's mother, two sons of her first marriage, her mother and two Voisy relatives. In a later census Mary is living with her father-in-law but John is lodging in Plymouth. (Updated information here from Ann Holden).
The children of John Hingston and Mary Voysey are:-
MARY GRACE HINGSTON (1641 in WEH), baptised 27 Jan 1850 (GRO) (baptised as Grace Mary). She married JAMES TOMS at Bigbury 16 Aug 1871 when she was described as being of full age.
GEORGE HENRY HINGSTON (1643 in WEH) baptised 27 Nov 1855 (GRO) died 5 Dec 1855 aged 6 months. John was described as a labourer.
76. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1611 in WEH) baptised 27 Jan 1828 at Bigbury, the son of 7. John Hingston and Grace Terry.. In the 1851 census he was unmarried, age 23, living as a servant at Coombe, Bigbury, in the house of Richard Crocker, a farmer. He married MARIA BARNES (or BARDENS) Sep Qtr 1860 in Plymouth. He was a shoemaker.
Their children (listed in the GRO with mother's maiden name Bardens were:-
FANNY MARIA HINGSTON born Mar Qtr 1861 (GRO) at Plymouth
CHARLES HENRY BARDENS HINGSTON born Jun Qtr 1864 (GRO) at Plymouth
JESSIE LAVINIA BARDENS HINGSTON born Dec Qtr 1866 (GRO) at Plymouth
34. JOHN MARCH HINGSTON (1556 in WEH) was baptised 14 Jun 1829, Aveton Gifford, the son of 8. Robert Hingston and Mary Ann (March. He married ANN BASSETT on 26 Oct 1851 at Aveton Gifford. She had been baptised 1 Feb 1835, the daughter of Michael and Jemima (Toope). In the 1851 census he was a lodger at Sandquay Mill, Townstall, Dartmouth, a labourer breaking stone. Most subsequent information about this family from Amanda Curry <email@example.com>.
The children of John March Hingston and Ann Bassett are believed to include:-
JOHN ROBERT HINGSTON (1564 in WEH), baptised 5 Sep 1852 (GRO) at Aveton Gifford
ROSINA (ROSE) HINGSTON (1215 in WEH), (born Dec Qtr 1854, (GRO) Kingsbridge District). WEH says she was born 3 Mar 1854 at Modbury but supposedly born at Aveton Gifford. Not bapt AG but supposed to have been born there. Married Mar Qtr 1873 to FRANCIS STEERE at Kingsbridge District.
WILLIAM GEORGE HINGSTON (1216 in WEH) baptised privately 20 Dec 1857 (GRO) at Aveton Gifford (born previous Qtr)
ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1218 in WEH who says she was born 28 Jan 1865), born 1859, supposedly at AG but not bapt there (probably the Elizabeth Prescott Hingston born Mar Qtr 1859, Kingsbridge District (GRO)). She presumably died before 1866. She could be the Elizabeth Hingston died Mar Qtr 1865, Kingsbridge District.
JANE HINGSTON (1217 in WEH who says she was born 13 Mar 1858 and that she married WILLIAM J CRIMP 18 Feb 1882), born 1863, Modbury (Mar Qtr 1864, Kingsbridge District (GRO))
ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1219 in WEH who says she was born 21 Aug 1866) born 1866 (there was an Elizabeth J born Mar Qtr 1866, Kingsbridge District (GRO)).
ALICE HINGSTON (1221 in WEH) born Mar 24 Feb 1871 (GRO), Kingsbridge District, died Mar Qtr 1872, Kingsbridge District, age 1. Modbury
GEORGE H. HINGSTON (1222 in WEH) Born 11 Ap 1873 (GRO). He married ROSA, widow of his brother Richard, in Mar Qtr 1923, and there may be children.
CHARLES HINGSTON (1223 in WEH) Baptised 22 Jan 1875. Probably the Charley Hingston born Dec Qtr 1874 (GRO), Kingsbridge District.
73. ROBERT HICKS HINGSTON bap at Plymstock 27 May 1832 to 8. Robert Hingston and Mary Anne (March) of Hooe, Quarryman. (He is probably 1559 in WEH who said he was born in 1836 and said that he married Eliza Jeffery, but we now believe that she married 72. Robert.) He married CELIA HYNE at Totnes Sep Q 1868. In the 1871 census we was described as 34, Celia 22, no children. By 1881 he was living at Coombe House, Townstal, Dartmouth. Robert Hingston, 48 (1833) Engineer Paint Factory, born Plymstock, Celia 32 born Brixham; Robert 9, born Brixham; William G 7 born Brixham; Matilda 5 born Dartmouth; Celia 2 born Dartmouth.
Note that there are three Georges here, all born 1840/41 (16. George, 27. George Henry, and 17. George), all having descendants, so there is scope for confusion. For various reasons I think I have them the right way round, and my reading agrees with WEH's, who was in communication with at least some of the families. So the reading here is believed to be correct and seems to accord with memories in the various families.
16. GEORGE (HEXT) HINGSTON (1563 in WEH) was born 7 Jan 1840 (according to WEH) in Aveton Gifford (GRO), the son of 8. Robert Hingston and Mary Ann (March) and died 26 Jun 1917 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. It seems that after his father died in 1850 he was placed in Kingsbridge workhouse where he is shown in the 1851 census aged 11 while his mother and sisters were in the Old Poor House in Aveton Gifford. He married JOHANNA RATCHFORD 5 Apr 1872 in St Pauls Anglican Church, Halifax, Nova Scotia, daughter of Patrick Ratchford and Catherine Connor. According to the 1901 census he emigrated to Canada in 1870; in the Halifax Directory in 1880-81 he is shown as a "labourer" (family oral history suggests that most of his labouring work was on the docks, making him a stevedore). That continued until about 1898 (age 56). After that, he was listed as employed by the Intercontinental Railway (ICR) as a "Watchman" in some years and a "Flagman" in others (positions that didn't require great physical activity). It is suspected he had "pull" to obtain such jobs via his extended Irish family who were important in local and provincial Irish politics. That railway position continued until 1916 (74), at which time he was listed as a "Pensioner", before passing away the next year. The only fixed date for his birth is quoted in the 1901 census where he said he was born on 7 Jan 1842. In other records only an age is given and these give a range of dates of birth from about 1840 to 1843.
Peter Higginbotham has a website about Workhouses, with one page, including photographs, about the Kingsbridge Union Workhouse. The workhouse is nominally in Churchstow Parish but is physically in Kingsbridge.
Children of George Hingston and Johanna Ratchford are:
MARY ANN ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1566 in WEH) b. 14 Mar 1873, Halifax, Nova Scotia; d. 5 May 1880, Halifax, Nova Scotia (d.w.i.).
MARY ANN ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1571 in WEH who says she was born 8 Nov 1884 and died Feb 1886), b. 1881, Halifax, Nova Scotia; buried 24 Feb 1882, Halifax, Nova Scotia (d.w.i.). (It is possible there were two children both of whom died young)
THOMAS FRANCIS HINGSTON (1570 in WEH) born 23 Apr 1882, married on 16 Nov 1904 BERTHA MARIE DAUPHINEE, (5 Aug 1881-18 Jun 1942), daughter of James and Josephine. He died 17 Mar 1946. Not listed by WEH and may be a confusion with Thomas born 1876 above.
ROBERT HINGSTON (1572 in WEH) born 26 Nov 1886 and died Oct 1888.
WILLIAM HINGSTON (1573 in WEH) b. 3 Jan 1890, Halifax, Nova Scotia; buried 1 Aug 1890, Halifax, Nova Scotia (d.w.i.).
27. GEORGE HENRY HINGSTON (1548 in WEH) was born 23 July 1841 in Paignton (GRO) (WEH says in Aveton Gifford), the son of 10. George Hingston and Grace Hurrell, and died 3 March 1915. He married ELIZA MADGE 23 Jul 1864 - WEH says she was from Fonesham which I do not recognise.WEH says that he was a shoemaker by trade and had a shop on Rackwalk Steps Torquay where their sixteen children were born. The information about all this family supplied by John Walter <firstname.lastname@example.org>
EDITH CAROL(INE) HINGSTON (1613 in WEH) b. 8 June 1866 (GRO), Paignton; d. 11 March 1960. She married EARNEST DENLEY 4 Oct 1891 and they had two children (Edith Caroline and Walter Arthur Ernest (1892-1893)
ARTHUR MADGE HINGSTON (1614 in WEH), b. 10 March 1867, Paignton; d. 8 February 1888.
LEWIS PHILLIP HINGSTON (1618 in WEH), b. 25 July 1874, Upton, Torquay; d. 15 October 1874.
LEWIS SAMUEL HINGSTON (1619 in WEH) b. 26 August 1875, Torquay; d. 27 November 1894.
HELEN(A) GRACE HINGSTON (1620 in WEH) b. 17 November 1876, Torquay; d. 15 April 1877.
JANE(T) ELIZA(BETH) HINGSTON (1621 in WEH) b. 12 May 1877 (FreeBMD shows most likely event as 1878), Torquay; d. 19 November 1959. She married PHILIP EDWIN BAKER and they had two children (Philip John Hingston and Janet). Jenny Mallinson <email@example.com> is the granddaughter of of Philip J H Baker.
PHILIP MADGE HINGSTON (not shown in WEH or in FreeBMD and the dates of birth of the siblings are very close together - I have doubts about his existence), b. 11 January 1878, Torquay; d. 3 February 1879.
17. GEORGE HINGSTON (1235 in WEH) was baptised 7 Mar 1841 in Modbury, the son of 11. Thomas Hingston and Ann Cowley, and was buried 31 Jul 1930 in Aveton Gifford (supposedly aged 90). He married ELIZABETH HINGSTONE ELSON 18 Mar 1861 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of JAMES ELSON and CHARLOTTE HINGSTONE; she was born 26 Nov 1840 in Aveton Gifford and baptised there on 26 Dec 1841. Elizabeth Elson had a child about a year before the marriage who was later given the name Hingston, so is listed here, but it is not clear whether George was the father. George was a sailor, apparently on the "fruit boats" which were fast schooners that made the trip to the Azores and Madeira bringing fresh produce back to the UK.
George's will said "I bequeath to my great grandson Sidney R. Clark of Aveton Gifford, my gramaphone, watch & chain, and my long service and good conduct medals which the late King Edward awarded to men of my class, hoping he will keep the latter in remembrance of me".
George Hingston possible service record 29886:
Born 27 Jan 1841, Alverton, Devon.
(There is no Alverton in Devon - assume this is Aveton (Gifford))
Height 5'1", Fair Complexion, Sandy Hair, Blue Eyes, no Marks.
Signed on for 10 years after 18 so would have been expected to serve until 1869.
Royal William joined on 1 Jul 1856, Boy 2 Class. HMS Royal William was a 120-gun first rate built in 1833 but by this time she was Guard Ship in ordinary at Devonport.
Satellite, joined on 8 Dec 1856, Boy 2 Class. HMS Satellite was a 21-gun screw-powered Pearl-class corvette. It is believed she was based in the Pacific.
Princess Royal, joined on 27 Jan 1861, Able Seaman. HMS Princess Royal was a 91-gun screw-powered second rate launched in 1853. It is believed she was based at Portsmouth at the time.
Revenge, joined on 1 May 1861, Able Seaman, discharged on 9 May 1863. HMS Revenge was a 91-gun screw-powered second rate launched in 1859. In 1862 she was commissioned at Portsmouth for service in the Mediterranean but it seems possible,that George left her before she left home waters.
It would appear that he left the service only 4 years after his 18th birthday but he seems to have received very good comments so it does not appear as though he was discharged with any form of dishonour. It does not look like th sort of service that would give him a Long Service Medal so this may not be his complete record.
Child of Elizabeth Elson
36. CHARLES HENRY (ELSON) HINGSTON (1241 in WEH) was born in 1859, and privately baptised at Aveton Gifford on 24 Feb 1860 when he was described as the child of Elizabeth Elson. He was not listed in George's will with the two surviving daughters, and my father, who knew George well and gave me the start of this tree did not appear to know anything about him. I therefore conclude that Charles was probably not George's son, although took his name from him. Charles would however have had Hingston ancestry through his maternal grandmother.
Children of George Hingston and Elizabeth Elson are:
CAROLINE ELSTON HINGSTON (1237 in WEH) privately baptised 6 Aug 1862, Aveton Gifford; d. 18 Mar 1940, Aveton Gifford (aged 77 - from MI). She married her second cousin once removed, WILLIAM CLARK, son of William Hingston Clark and Sarah Congdon Dec Qtr 1887. He was baptised 11 Mar 1866 in Aveton Gifford, and died 10 Mar 1955 in Aveton Gifford, aged 89 (MI). William Hingston Clark was the son of Prudence Hingston and grandson of 3. William Hingston. Caroline and William had one child, FLORENCE BEATRICE CLARK, b. Mar 1888, Aveton Gifford; d. 15 Aug 1945, Aveton Gifford, who married Charles William Burgoyne.
ROSINA HINGSTON (1239 in WEH) baptised 5 Jul 1869, Aveton Gifford; died 14 Nov 1869, Aveton Gifford.
MARY ROSINA HINGSTON (1240 in WEH) privately baptised 6 Nov 1876, Aveton Gifford and died the same day.
72. ROBERT HINGSTON (1526 in WEH) born 26 Feb 1854 (GRO), Aveton Gifford, the son of 11. Thomas Hingston and Ann(Cowley). He married 13 Jul 1876 ELIZA JEFFERY of Modbury. She was a widow, having been born Eliza Partridge, and married William Henry Jeffrey Jun Qtr 1869 but he died age 25 at Kingsbridge in Jun Qtr 1871. The 1891 census at Traine Terrace, Modbury, shows Robert Hingston age 34, (so born ~1857) Agent & Labourer, born Aveton Gifford and Eliza age 41, Charwoman, born Chudleigh, Devon.
Their children were:-
ELIZABETH ANN HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Mar Qtr 1877 (Eliza in the census)
IRENA BEATRICE J HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Sep Qtr 1879
JOHN THOMAS HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Dec Qtr 1880 (Thomas in the census)
FLORENCE EMILY HINGSTON born Bedminster Jun Qtr 1882
ETHEL MARY HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Sep Qtr 1884
JOHN ROBERT HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Mar Qtr 1886
ETHEL MARY JANE HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Sep Qtr 1889
GERTRUDE LILY HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Dec Qtr 1891
71. WILLIAM JOHN HINGSTON born 1 Nov 1868, the son of 70. William Henry Hingston and Mary Elizabeth (Magor). He is believed to be the William John Hingston who married EMMA CAROLINE GRIFFITHS Dec Qtr 1890 at Plymouth. If this is the correct marriage, William and Emma were cousins, because their mutual grandparents were Mary Jane Vennen and Benjamin Griffiths. William and Emma died in Calgary in the 1930s.
The children of William and Emma were:-
MARY EMILY HINGSTON born Plymouth Sep 1891 (GRO)
WILLIAM JOHN HINGSTON born Plymouth Sep 1892 (GRO) (presumably died)
PERCY HAROLD HINGSTON born Plymouth Dec 1894 (twin?) (GRO)
STANLEY HINGSTON born Plymouth Dec 1894 (twin?) (GRO) (to Calgary) Died in Vancouver
WILLIAM JOHN HINGSTON born Plymouth Dec 1896 (GRO) (to Calgary)
FRANCIS HENRY HINGSTON born Plymouth Mar 1899 (GRO) (to Calgary)
WINIFRED ALEXANDRA born 1902 (to Calgary)
77. GEORGE HENRY LAVERS HINGSTON (1532 in WEH), baptised 13 Oct 1872, Aveton Gifford, the son of 19. John Henry Hingston and Caroline (Lavers). He married ETTIE PARTRIDGE Jun 1897 at Stoke Damerel. She was probably Hettie Gear Partridge born Pancras in 1878 (so only 19 at marriage). (What does the 1901 census say?)
ELSIE VIVIANA HINGSTON born Stoke Damerel Sep 1898
ETTIE VIOLA HINGSTON born Devonport Mar 1900
59. RICHARD ISAAC HINGSTON (1644 in WEH) of Bigbury, now of Plymouth, born 5 Nov 1853 the son of57. Phillip Terry Hingston and Elizabeth Brend and married HELEN ANN ATWILL of Plymouth Dec Qtr 1878. He was in business at Plymouth as a stone and marble cutter. His shops were at Pennycomequick and apparently doing a good business in 1906 according to WEH.
WILLIAM GEORGE HINGSTON (1663 in WEH) born at Plymouth 8 Sept 1879.
RICHARD ATWILL HINGSTON (1664 in WEH) born 3 June 1882.
ALICE ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1665 in WEH) born 22 May 1883, twin with her sister Mary.
MARY BRENDA HINGSTON (1666 in WEH) twin with the above but died when five days old.
GEORGE HENRY HINGSTON (1654 in WEH) of Bigbury born 23 Feb 1877.
RANDOLPH JOSEPH LEIGH HINGSTON (1655 in WEH) born 3 Nov 1879.
LILIAN EMMA LEIGH HINGSTON (1656 in WEH) born 26 Nov 1880 died 31 Aug 1881.
LUCY ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1657 in WEH) born 31 Oct 1884.
SYDNEY JOHN (JAMES) HINGSTON (1658 in WEH) bapt 31 Oct 1884. He was baptised as Sydney John but is listed in naval records as Sydney James, born 18 Oct 1884 at Southgate, Middlesex, 5' 5-1/4", fair hair, blue eyes, fresh complexion with an arrow and heart tattoo on his left arm and working as a kitchen porter. He doesn't seem to have had an auspicious or long naval career. He was based at Chatham and spent three short periods on board ships, from one of which he was discharged after spending 14 days in the cells, and from the last (Ramillies) he was discharged after three months "No longer required". There is a faint entry about him being recalled in 1914 but no details of further naval service. It's possible he had been in the army because there is a note saying that he cannot count army service towards his badges.
MAUD MARY HINGSTON (1659 in WEH) born 12 Nov 1886.
ALICE GRACE HINGSTON (1660 in WEH) born 8 Mar 1899.
EMMA LEIGH HINGSTON (1661 in WEH) born 20 Jan 1892.
MARY LEIGH HINGSTON (1662 in WEH) born 23 June 1895.
35. RICHARD HENRY BASSETT HINGSTON (1220 in WEH), (born Sep Qtr, Kingsbridge District) Modbury, the son of 34. John March Hingston and Ann (Bassett). He married ROSA TUCKER, in the Sep Qtr 1892, Kingsbridge District. She had been born about 1872 in Kingsbridge, the daughter of Richard Tucker and Hannah (Hannaford). Richard joined the Navy and died on 25 Apr 1916 when the submarine E22 was torpedoed by the German U-boat UB-18 off Great Yarmouth. She had been involved in experiments to intercept Zeppelins on 24 April 1916 for which she carried two Sopwith Schneider seaplanes on her casing (photo). The boat would then submerge in calm waters and the planes would float on the surface from which they could take off, later returning to the East coast of England at Felixstowe. The trials were not successful.There were two survivors who were taken prisoner by the German U-Boat and become Prisoners of War. According to living memories, Richard and Rosa had several children before he died. Rosa then married his brother, George (Mar Qtr 1823 in Newton Abbot) and had further children.
He is listed on the CWGC site and his name is inscribed on the Plymouth Naval Memorial.
The children of Richard and Rosa include the following (who were all born before Richard died). There are believed to have been 11 children, some of whom died young, but that number may include some of the children of George and Rosa:-
RICHARD HINGSTON, born 1892 (probably the Richard Henry B Hingston born Dec1892, Kingsbridge district)
IVY FLORA HINGSTON, born Jun Qtr 1895, Kingsbridge District. She married, before 1912, CHARLES BASSETT GOSLING, born 1893, Plympton. Their daughter, Phyllis, was grandmother of Amanda Curry <firstname.lastname@example.org>
NETTA HINGSTON, born Dec Qtr 1896, Kingsbridge District
DORIS WINIFRED HINGSTON, born Jun Qtr 1898, Kingsbridge District (there was also an ETHEL MAY HINGSTON, birth registered on the previous page - possible twin?)
NORAH ALICE HINGSTON, born Mar Qtr 1900, Kingsbridge District.
LILIAN ROSE HINGSTON, 1901
GEORGE HINGSTON, possibly 1905
CYRIL HINGSTON, possibly 1906
NANCY HINGSTON, born 1914, Kingsbridge. (Known to be the youngest, and 18 months younger than her niece, Ivy's daughter)
74. ROBERT (HICKS) HINGSTON was born in Brixham in Sep Qtr 1871, the son of 73. Robert Hicks Hingston and Celia (Hyne) and married MAHALA BLAKE at Totnes Jun 1892. In 1901 census Robert age 29 (born 1872) Machine Minder Paint works born Brixham; Mahala wife age 32 born Dartmouth, William son age 7 born Dartmouth, Celia mother age 51 widow born Brixham and Lilian niece age 3 born Dartmouth.
FLORENCE MAUD HINGSTON born Totnes Jun Qtr 1892
WILLIAM ROBERT HINGSTON born Dartmouth Dec Qtr 1893
WINIFRED MAHALA HINGSTON born Totnes Sep Qtr 1898
75. WILLIAM GEORGE HINGSTON born Brixham ~1873 the son of 73. Robert Hicks Hingston and Celia (Hyne) and married FLORENCE JANE MOCK Dec Qtr 1896 in Barnstaple District, possibly at Ilfracombe. In 1901 he was 27, living in Brixham and working in a Paint Factory, born Brixham; Florence, 27, born Ilfracombe William G 2, born Brixham.
LILIAN MAUD HINGSTON born Sep Qtr 1897 at Barnstaple, probably died Totnes district in 1898.
WILLIAM G HINGSTON born ~1899 Brixham (from census)
FLORENCE JANE HINGSTON born Jun Qtr 1901 Totnes
FREDERICK CHARLES born Sep Qtr 1903 Totnes
ROBERT HICKS boorn Mar Qtr 1906 Totnes
SYDNEY JOHN HINGSTON born Jun Qtr 1909 Totnes
21. PATRICK JOSEPH HINGSTON (1567 in WEH) was born 26 Nov 1874 in Low Point, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, the son of 16. George Hingston and Johanna (Ratchford) and died 5 Feb 1957 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He married FLORENCE DUFFIELD 23 Sep 1902 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, daughter of John Duffield and Johanna Weston.
Children of Patrick Hingston and Florence Duffield are:
23. HAROLD WILFRED HINGSTON, b. 19 Sep 1903; d. 1 Apr 1983, both at Halifax. (Issue)
24. FREDERICK HINGSTON, b. 19 Jun 1906; d. 1980. (Issue)
IRENE MARY HINGSTON, b. 13 Sep 1910 Halifax; d. 28 Jun 1986 Ottawa; m. H L ROSS SMYTH.
78. JOHN JOSEPH HINGSTON (1569 in WEH), b. 5 Aug 1880, Halifax, Nova Scotia, the son of 16. George Hingston and Johanna (Ratchford). He was employed as a yardsman on the railway from 22 Sep 1904 and retired 31 Dec 1942 as a Assistant General Yardmaster. He died on 1 Dec.1947. On 29 Oct 1913 in Halifax he married MARY AGNES COUGHLIN, the daughter of Michael Coughlin (a stonecutter) and Annie Sarah Bauman. She was then aged 20 and died 1971 in Halifax aged 78.
Children of John Joseph Hingston and Mary Coughlin are
MURIEL JEAN HINGSTON married James Gordon MacQuarrie. One of their children is Betty Melik <email@example.com>.
ANNE MASON HINGSTON
WILFRED GORDON HINGSTON married Eva
JOHN JOSEPH HINGSTON married Cassie
28. JOHN RANDOLPH HINGSTON (1612 in WEH) was born 20 April 1865 in Torquay, the son of 27. George Henry Hingston and Eliza (Madge), and died 1 January 1907. He was a warrant officer on one of HM Ships. Has charge of the electric works and installing the wireless telegraphy on all boats. He married 16 Jul 1885 ALICE MAUDE YEO.
Children of JOHN HINGSTON and ALICE YEO are:
FREDERICK RANDOLPH YEO HINGSTON (1646 in WEH) born 18 Jan 1889.
EDITH ALICE HINGSTON (1647 in WEH) born 21 Apr 1895.
CHARLES ALBERT JAMES HINGSTON (1648 in WEH) born 11 Oct 1897.
EDGAR HENRY GEORGE HINGSTON (1649 in WEH) born at Devonport 13 Feb 1899.
29. SYDNEY HURRELL HINGSTON (1615 in WEH) was born 25 February 1869 in Paignton, the son of 27. George Henry Hingston and Eliza (Madge). He married 4 Dec 1888 ANNIE WALKER, the daughter of John Walker and Elizabeth Cave. The family were living in London but shortly after the birth of Ida they moved to Torquay where Sydney died 12 May 1897. Annie subsequently married his brother 30. George.
Children of SYDNEY HINGSTON and ANNIE are:
ARTHUR ERNEST HINGSTON (1650 in WEH) born 12 Dec 1899 (FreeBMD says Mar Qtr 1889) in Paddington..
ETHEL AGNES HINGSTON (1651 in WEH) 26 Dec 1890 in Marylebone, died 18 Jan 1894, Kensington.
SYDNEY HURRELL HINGSTON (not shown in WEH) born and died Mar Qtr 1893 Marylebone.
IDA MAY HINGSTON. (1652 in WEH) born 31 May 1895 Marylebone.
Children of NORMAN HINGSTON and ELIZABETH WESTLAKE are:
JANET ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1689 in WEH), b. 12 Nov 1900.
FLORENCE MADGE HINGSTON, b. 1901.
HILDA MAUDE HINGSTON, b. 15 January 1903; d. 21 April 1991.
WILLIAM NORMAN HINGSTON, b. 1904; d. 1955; m. ELSIE FRANKLYN.
DAVID WESTLAKE HINGSTON, b. 1906, Torquay; d. 1987, Torbay Hospital.
ADA ALICE HINGSTON, b. 1907; d. 1990.
ALBERT ERNEST HINGSTON, b. 1908.
MABEL ELLEN HINGSTON, b. 1909.
NORMAN EDWARD HINGSTON, b. 1910; m. FLORENCE ?.
ETHEL GRACE HINGSTON, b. 1912.
FRANK HENRY HINGSTON, b. 1916.
33. WILLIAM EDGAR HINGSTON (1626 in WEH) was born 18 March 1885, the son of 27. George Henry Hingston and Eliza (Madge), and died 19 April 1973. He married JESSIE ELIZABETH TOWILL 30 April 1908 in St Johns Church Torquay. WEH reported that in Feb 1906 he was an Able Seaman on HMS Niobe at Devonport.
Children of WILLIAM HINGSTON and JESSIE TOWILL are:
WILLIAM EDGAR HINGSTON, b. 27 January 1909, died 1985. .Mark Hingston <firstname.lastname@example.org> is his grandson.
PHYLIS ROSE HINGSTON, b. 21 October 1918, Torquay.
36. CHARLES HENRY (ELSON) HINGSTON (1241 in WEH) was born in 1859, and privately baptised at Aveton Gifford on 24 Feb 1860 when he was described as the child of Elizabeth Elson. In the 1861 census he is shown as living with James Elson (his grandfather) when he was described as a nephew. Elizabeth married 17. George Hingston on 18 Mar 1861 (just before the census on 7th April). In the 1871 census he is shown as part of the family of George and Elizabeth, and with the Hingston name which he clearly used later in life and passed on to his own family. In 1871 he is shown as a stone breaker, aged 11, but later he is shown as a carpenter. Charles married ELIZABETH SPRY in June Qtr 1889 in Plymouth (there was another marriage in Plymouth of a Charles Henry Hingston in June Qtr 1895). Charles died in Plymouth in 1933 aged 73 but no death record has yet been found for Elizabeth.
Children of CHARLES HENRY HINGSTON and ELIZABETH SPRY are:
GERTRUDE HINGSTON born 1890 in Plymouth
FREDERICK HINGSTON born 1893 (not shown in FreeBMD)
BERTIE HENRY HINGSTON born 1896 in Plymouth
22. ELIZABETH JANE HINGSTON (1238 in WEH) was baptised privately on 13 Jan 1866 in Aveton Gifford, the daughter of 17. George Hingston and Elizabeth (Elson). She married STEVEN THOMAS SAUNDERS 28 Mar 1891 in Aveton Gifford, by which time she had already had a son who was born in 1885 (when she would have been 19) but who died aged 5 weeks. There is another Elizabeth Jane Hingston who could have been the mother (the daughter of 19. John Henry and Caroline) but she would only have been 14 at the time the child was born. It is probably worth finding the child in the 1891 census to try to confirm which Elizabeth was the mother.
Child of Elizabeth Hingston is:
CHARLES HENRY SEWARD HINGSTON, born 7 Nov 1885, baptised 25 Nov 1885 and died 11 Dec the same year, all at Aveton Gifford.
Children of Elizabeth Hingston and Steven Saunders are:
REGINALD SAUNDERS, b. West Charleton; m. CHRISTINE.
The public version of this tree terminated here for reasons of privacy.